Performance Measures: Food Security
- Decrease the number of individuals in Polk County struggling every day to get enough to eat by 20% from 54,080 to 43,264 (Hunger Free Polk County)
- Increase produce consumption (5+ servings 4+ days per week) is 49th in nation at 53.7%, down from 54.3% in 2014 to 56% (Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, Des Moines/West Des Moines Metropolitan Statistical Area)
- Decrease the number of people (unduplicated) who visited a Des Moines Area Religious Council (DMARC) food pantry from 39,121 in 2014 to 31,296 (DMARC).
- Decrease the number of people in Polk County living in food deserts from 18,281 (2010) to 14,624 (USDA.gov).
- Decrease obesity rate from 29.6%, up from 26.7% in 2013, to 26% (Gallup)
- Improve daily healthy eating from 55.3% (2014) to 56% (Gallup)